Here are my reasons behind my informed decision making:
- Face coverings have been shown to be ineffective in stopping transmission of influenza and other respiratory viruses virtually universally in over 30 years of peer-reviewed science. Even all of our public health officials and organizations have said the same thing citing the peer-reviewed science, until all of a sudden they didn’t (even without producing new evidence to the contrary).
- To prevent spraying larger droplets, people can sneeze or cough into their shoulder or elbow and control their spread as well as a mask does.
- Health experts are saying that you would likely have to be in close proximity (like within 3 feet) for several minutes to risk spreading the virus from normal breathing, even if you are infected. When I’m out in public, I’m never in someone’s personal space and certainly not for more than a few seconds.
- A lot of it has to do with viral load. How much virus is transferred in a short period of time. Normal breathing simply doesn’t spread the amount of virus to infect another person, unless you are in close quarters and for an extended period of time. So, for very low transmission like this see #5.
- We all have immune systems that handle 99.99% of the viral particles that make up the 50 or so respiratory viral strains that we all come in contact all the time and especially in the winter months. SARS-CoV-2 is no different in that way. It is true, some people’s immune systems handle this better than others. But if we could just get the word out about the importance of Vitamin D levels and so many other things, even the immune suppressed could have a much higher level of protection.
- We now know that asymptomatic transmission is extremely rare if it happens at all. This goes back to #4, viral load. People who have a high enough viral load to be able to casually infect another person will almost always feel symptoms. If people are sick they should stay home. That’s called personal responsibility. That’s what we’ve always done, even in the worst flu seasons, where we have never had universal masking.
- Cloth and cheap fabric masks like the ones people are wearing in public DO NOT stop the virus from going through. Larger moisture droplets yes, but the virus is so small that it can travel through most masks or around the sides, because the masks don’t seal properly. This is reiterated in many of the studies you can access from the link below. In addition, the AMA, the New England Journal of Medicine and even the W.H.O. all have been saying the same thing recommending against their public use for years.
- Face masks are made of materials that are toxic. Breathing these synthetic chemicals and nano-fibers will take a toll on a person’s health, causing short and long-term problems. New studies are emerging about the future cancer risks from these micro fibers (nano-particles) thqat can lodge in the lungs similar to asbestos. Asbestos has been banned because of the risks associated for mesothelioma.
- Face masks reduce oxygen. That weakens the immune system. I have the studies that show that in the references also.
- Face masks cause dangerous levels of built up carbon dioxide, the gas that our bodies have to expel as part of respiration. Normal breathing for even a few seconds causes levels 200% greater than OSHA workplace limits within the mask space. See this video: https://thehighwire.com/mask-test-proves-toxic-for-children/
- As you breathe, the moisture you expel causes the mask to get damp with makes the last 2 problems even worse.
- Wearing a mask causes you to touch your face and constantly adjust the mask, reaching inside to pull it up, etc. This dramatically increases the risk of catching the virus by transferring what you have accumulated on your hands onto and inside your mask!
- Face masks increase fear and anxiety. They are a constant reminder of how “bad and dangerous” the virus is and “it’s out to get us”. That hurts people psychologically…increasing stress hormones that exacerbate EVERY kind of illness and disease, both physical and emotional. The toll that is causing is immeasurable! And for children, this can leave emotional and psychological scars that may last years.
- Wearing masks encourage complacency. People will feel that they are protected and are protecting others, therefore…they may be less apt to observe the same social distancing and hygienic safeguards. They may engage in activities that may expose them to risk, feeling that they are safe. Or, worse yet they may feel that they can visit and elderly relative or someone with serious co-morbidities because they are wearing a mask.
- The compliance with something that is nearly useless and has so many harmful effects is a dangerous form of submission that is more akin to surrender…surrender of our personal freedoms. It’s a VERY slippery slope and a precedent that can lead to loss of other rights and freedoms (and boy haven’t we seen that?!). Each freedom we let them chip away makes it easier for them to get compliance for the next over-reach.
- The face mask issue is being driven by the 2 P’s…. Pharma and politics.
-Pharma benefits if the public stays paralyzed by fear until they roll out new expensive patented drugs and vaccines. They capitalize on public fear, most of which is a result of public health and media’s selective reporting. Of course the media is a mouthpiece for pharma as they are their biggest advertiser (financial supporter). The media always loves exaggerating and micro-focusing on the rare and worst case scenario stories, but throughout the whole COVID period, they have taken it to a whole new level. Additionally, they rarely reported who is in the low risk categories, especially for the young and healthy to help alleviate fear for the vast majority of Americans. They never reported on what people can do proactively to protect themselves like optimizing vitamin D levels, taking zinc and other immune supporting nutrients, continue exercising getting fresh outside air, etc. You get the point. Their messaging has been to be scared, stay at home, avoid other people, wear your masks in all situations (they even avoided educating people about not wearing masks in their own car or walking outside in the wide open spaces). Keeping people in masks even if the science doesn’t support it is a continual reminder about “the threat” and how “dangerous” the situation is. This benefits pharma because people will eventually suffer battle fatigue thinking the only way out is when the vaccines arrive. And when they did they were lining up in droves. Pharma stands to make many BILLIONS of dollars. There has never been a bonanza like this before!
-Politicians who are power mongers or wanted a change in the presidency benefit by dragging this pandemic out, striking fear into the hearts of people, doing as much damage to the best economy the U.S. has ever seen pre-COVID. That gave them a shot to take back the White House. And now we all know how that worked out. The response to the virus, lockdowns, levels of Draconian measures, public and business restrictions have been very much politically and ideologically driven.
In a health care setting with proper fitting and use of N-95 masks in high risk professional settings around sick and vulnerable people, with all the other precautions that they take, YES there is some tangible benefit. (still some harm from the risks listed above however).
Bottom line is…People that feel that a mask will help them should have the right to wear them, but people that know what the scientific community has determined through 30 years of peer-reviewed science and the potential harms to themselves should be allowed to make their own decisions.